Virtual Performance - What I've Learned

Share your lessons/ideas/resources for remote learning.
Wayne
Site Admin

Virtual Performance - What I've Learned

Post by Wayne »

In March, Steve Martin went out in his backyard and recorded himself playing a little ditty on his banjo, and it quickly went viral. An exceptionally talented violinist took that recording and made a separate audio/video track of herself to turn it into a duet. She even found a background to make it look like she was right there with Steve: www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDxh5F4C-cA

Obviously, the “live” performance was an illusion.

In terms of performing together from a distance: there is no magic app. It is impossible because of latency. When I play or sing with the kids during class, we usually turn on one mic at a time. ☹

Virtual choirs and ensembles make it look so easy, but it is NOT done live. Individual parts are recorded one at a time (the easy part) and then painstakingly assembled. This is one of the best descriptions I found: https://midnightmusic.com.au/2020/03/de ... hoir-video

I sent my kiddos a web page with directions. I gave them a YouTube video with our accompaniment recording, including music/lyrics. All my 4th and 5th graders were assigned Chromebooks, so I gave them directions on how to record with a Chromebook’s “Camera” app. I told them they would need a second device (laptop/phone/tablet) to listen to the recording with HEADPHONES or EARBUDS. The accompaniment track in their ears is CRITICAL to keep them in time. The reason for the headphones: we want the Chromebook Camera to capture JUST their voice, not the accompaniment track. We cannot separate that later.

Once they made their recording, I used an upload tool on my site to have the kids send their movies directly, like attaching a file to a text. But you can use any number of free tools such as Dropbox, Google Drive, WeTransfer, Filemail, etc.

If it helps, here are similar directions we sent the graduating seniors to have them record for the Governor’s graduation ceremony: www.rimea.org/2020

Once you have all the individual recordings, the easiest thing to do it is to do make a “sound only” performance. I used free software called Audacity; it has been around forever. There’s better stuff out there (i.e. ProTools) but Audacity worked fine for me.

If the kids sent videos, you need to save those videos as just sound, either WAV or MP3. My Corel Video Studio software does this but must open them and convert them one at a time. There are plenty of online tools that can convert movie files to audio files for free.

Open the original accompaniment track (the one that everyone was listening to when they recorded to keep in time) in a stereo track of Audacity. You can import track after track after track of singers below that accompaniment in Audacity... the trick is to line them all up.

In Audacity, use the audio to align each new track with the accompaniment. There is a “track move” tool that looks like a two-directional arrow. You can use the “solo” button to just hear the track you are moving and the original accompaniment. Once the track is in place, delete the excess (the introduction and ending from the choir members tracks). I actually trimmed the beginning and ending of each student’s track (in Audacity) BEFORE I started putting the individual kiddos together.

If you want to be fancy: mix the group, using the pan function to place them virtually in the position they would be in if they were standing in front of you. (Sopranos on the left, etc.)

Add a touch of reverb (Effect… Reverb) to the voices. I used these settings below.

Export the final mix to a stereo file and upload it to your YouTube page. Tah dah!

If you want to include video: using your video editor of choice (Corel Video Studio, iMovie, Adobe Premier) set each video as an "overlay" track and then MUTE it in your video editing software. That’s right: the students are actually lip-syncing to the final stereo mix you made in Audacity.

Overwhelmed? Local musician Mike Sartini does this type of recording/mixing work and is available to help you with the heavy lifting. You can contact him at mikesartini.com

IMPORTANT: Make sure the students have signed waivers, and make sure you have a mechanical (audio) or synchronization (video) license for your recording if it is NOT public domain. I often use the Harry Fox Agency’s Songfile to purchase licenses.

~Wayne
:ugeek:
Attachments
reverb.jpg
reverb.jpg (35.75 KiB) Viewed 13744 times